Now that I am a clean eater and really careful about the food that I put in my body, I am always on the lookout for a muffin recipe that isn't loaded in extra sugar and doesn't leave me feeling guilty after eating it!
I found this recipe on the Beachbody Blog and I instantly knew I had to try it. I just started 22 Minute Hard Corps and the meal plan with the program has me eating TWO yellow (carb) containers for breakfast. I had been eating steel cut oats with fruit, but then I bought non-instant ---- and this busy mom just does NOT have time to wait for stove top oats!
This recipe is great! It allows you to customize the toppings you add on top and the muffins are not dry at all. They are sweet and hearty; just like oatmeal, but without the added sugar.
I am able to make these ahead of time and have them ready to go all week --- which is even better!
I hope that you enjoy them as much as I have!
Ingredients: (makes 12 muffins)
- Coconut Oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas mashed, or 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- toppings of your choice: berries, chocolate chips, pure maple syrup, nuts, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Combine eggs, vanilla, bananas and honey in a large bowl. Mash bananas and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine oats, cinnamon and baking powder in a small bowl, stir well and combine with banana mixture.
- Stir in almond milk and mix well.
- Divide oatmeal evenly between prepared muffin cups and add toppings of your choice.
- Bake 26 to 30 minutes or until brown.
According to the Beachbody Blog, each muffin counts for 1/2 a yellow and 1/2 a purple --- doesn't get much better than that! :) If you add chocolate chips/nuts; be sure to factor that into your container allotment!